.post-body {font-family: Courier, monospace;}

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Some Christmas joy from the archives

I'm sharing some fun cards from the archives. The stash of supplies and goodies that I had forgotten existed, stored in the corner of the basement in a white Elfa rolling storage unit, full of book and project kits. 

These are three Christmas cards that may have been intended as samples for a class. These cards are highly embellished and not realistic for my handmade cards as I make approximately 80 cards for friends, family and colleagues. The cost of mailing cards that are thick would require more postage, special mailers and would be prohibitive.

Anyway, hope you enjoy them.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This first card was inspired by Impress.  I printed this page from their web site in 2004 with this sample card.  I came up with my own version that uses wire and aluminum tape for the ornament hangers. I also embossed the oval embellishment, which is a die cut, on the joy ornament.  The embossing would  probably not survive the USPS.

However, this card did ultimately inspire my real life Christmas card. I can't put my hands on the actual card, but I did make a simpler version for my recipients based on this card idea.

 


This card uses a similar approach with embossing the die cuts and I just love the little embossed tag as well. The colors are non-traditional but they conjure cold winter weather.




Finally, this card has loads of clear buttons with decorative paper backing each one. The three messages are made from cardstock strips that were put through an old school manual label maker.  To highlight the words I rubbed ink on the strips, to help the letters pop. As with the other two cards, not very practical but I do love how it turned out. Maybe I can adapt it in the future for one of my own holiday cards.




Thanks for stopping by friends!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I have never tried putting strips of paper through my dymo label maker before.
Impress always has inspiring ideas.