.post-body {font-family: Courier, monospace;}

Monday, April 13, 2020

Dot Painting

Over a year ago I saw a video on YouTube showing dot painting on rocks. It was mesmerizing. 

Here's the video: Dot painting tutorial

I purchased a kit with some basic tools from Amazon. They included styluses with various sizes of balls.  Also, the kit included colored rods, that allow for larger dots. The kit also came with a stencil, paint palette and a white pencil.

I started painting on some rocks then paper mache boxes. I always start by painting the substrate black, which makes the final result more impactful.

Here's a video where I decorated a page in my new tag book. It's so relaxing to do dot painting. I dispense two or three sections of the same color, then added white to make lighter hues. I repeated with a few colors, and added some white to my palette.


Here are some additional samples:


The YouTube video provides examples of tools you can make at home to do dot painting with things you probably already have. My recommendation is to dig out some acrylic paints and try it. Just try to use fluid paints that are runny. You can try to dilute heavier paints if that's all you have. If they are thicker, the circles you paint will not dry smooth, and will have too much texture. 

Also, after working with them for a while they start to get dried out in the palette, and they are less effective for this technique.


Have fun!!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I’ve already watched the video numerous times! So addictive!
Love the colors.