.post-body {font-family: Courier, monospace;}

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

John C Campbell and class with Eric M Scott Beyond Blank Pages

I started a new journal recently when I attended a class at John C Campbell Folk School.  Our teacher Eric M Scott conducted an amazing class called Beyond Blank Pages.

He is an inspiring artist and I blogged about his books Journal Fodder 365 and Journal Junkies Workshop, years ago.  

Eric's Bio

Eric's amazing blog

Eric's shop

Eric's early books on Amazon

The class was AMAZING. Check out his workshop schedule here and get hold of his books. They provide an inspirational approach to journaling. Eric took us beyond just the visual aspect of the journal because he had us do writing exercises and this significantly expanded the depth of our pages. I had never done this type of exercise with creating my visual art and I found the process extremely enlightening. I think it added to my creative process.

We had 9 students in the class and lots of room in the paper arts studio. We learned new techniques and then were given time to try them out. There were so many techniques that Eric shared, we filled a giant white board. The beautiful part about the John C Campbell Folk school (JCC Folk school) is that we had five days of class and it seemed like we could have spent five weeks using all the techniques.

The other joy of the class was meeting a wonderful and generous group of students in the class. Everyone was a pleasure to meet,  talk to, collaborate and create with.

It is not an understatement to describe this vacation and class as a religious experience. The connections I made, the beauty of the location, the gift of time spent doing what I love, made this so special. I will never forget it.



Eric photobombed me!



Our amazing studio





A quick flip through my journal


Jo-Ellen working hard! Had to get pictures of the presses.



My new friend Dana



My new friend Thea



My new friend Barbara



My new friend Jenn



My new friend Robin


My new friend Eileen


My new friend Vicki


Our amazing muse Eric!


Our class's work on display on the last day at the School's show.


So next stop in some of my future posts, I'll show some of my journal pages!!


1 comment:

Brenda said...

Thanks for sharing your experience and showing us your journal.